Historic villa on the hills of Chieri
A real pearl of the Turin hills, Villa Luigina was born as a holiday home or hunting lodge of the Tana di Santena family from Chieri.
Rebuilt in 1737 by the Jesuits of the Chieri College, again as a country house, it was named after San Luigi Gonzaga, son of Marta Tana di Santena and Ferrante Gonzaga of Castiglione delle Stiviere.
The Villa is located in a panoramic position on the hills of Chieri that Tasso had compared to those of Siena.
The first news dates back to 1586 when Ercole Tana di Chieri dei Signori di Santena declares, among his many properties, that he owns a building for the purposes of Chieri in the Moglia region.
The building appears to belong to the count branch of the Tana family for the whole of the seventeenth century.
In 1689, Count Maurizio Amedeo Tana di Santena married the French Marquess Jeanne de Montboissier-Beaufort-Canillac, moving to France and serving in the army of Louis XIV. A behavior that is interpreted as a betrayal by the Duke Vittorio Amedeo II who therefore decides to punish the Count by expropriating his properties and in particular "the Palazzo and the cassina for the purposes of Chieri on 23 September 1694" as well as "the palace in the city of Chieri ”on 9 October 1694.
A period of probable abandonment followed until 1735 when Carlo Alessandro Broglia de Gribaldenghi and Giuseppe Maria Taricco, both Jesuits of the Chieri College, bought the ruins. The villa was rebuilt in 1737 by the Lugano masters. The planimetric documentation is present in the Historical Archive of Turin among the documents of the architect Mario Ludovico Quarini. The presence of this documentation together with the use of masons for walls active in others on the construction sites, would probably lead to considering Bernardo Vittone as a designer architect.
Once the ancient Company of Jesus was suppressed, during the Napoleonic period the villa was sold to private families, such as the Mestiatis of Graglia, the cavalier Antonio Porporati, the Galleani sisters of Canelli, the countess Ceppi di Bajrols, who alternate in the property.
In 1886 the Villa was repurchased by the Jesuits. Alessandro Monti SJ recalls in his book on the history of the Jesuits: “The purchase of the ancient holiday resor