Villa Medici Giulini in Briosco
Villa Medici Giulini is about half an hour from the Milan center and a few km from the center of Monza, hosts an important interior collection of musical instruments on the keyboard.
The dwelling sees its origins already in the Middle Ages and reaches its maximum splendor in the eighteenth century when it was called Francesco Zuccarelli to paint the hall of honor in the center of the villa.
Around the 1650 is owned Crivelli, then goes to the family Attendolo Bolognini in the 1785, it later became the home of the Doctors of Marignano and currently of the Giulini family.
The architectural system has remained intact over the centuries and is perfectly preserved. The villa is surrounded by a park of 3 acres with magnificent old trees.
The side wings were destined for aaccommodation, dedicated for the most part to music, with creations of international seminars and special events that have as their theme the collection of keyboard instruments, all filed in the Italian-English catalog "In search of lost sounds", published by Villa Medici Giulini and distributed internationally.
Villa Medici Giulini
The usual destinations in the summer, when the heat of Milan pushed the aristocracy to leave the city, were basically four: Brianza, Varese, Lake Como and Lake Maggiore.
Brianza is located on the first hills near the city, where it was possible to find a fresh and pleasant climate.
The villas are built for the summer and Villa Medici is a typical example of the architecture and life of the seventeenth century. Its facade faces south, with the sundial marking the hours of the day.
The double portico, to the south and west, creates two different moments of "living room" as the first portico protected guests from the midday sun, the second gave the opportunity to enjoy the sunset lights. The central hall connects the two arcades in an extraordinary situation of brightness.
The dining rooms and lounges of music and conversation are very fresh, facing north towards the village that rose around the Villa.
The garden is divided into two zones: the Italian garden, enclosed between the carpinians with the rigorous design of the boxwoods and the English park, with the ancient trees and the blossoms that alternate during the spring and summer up to the colors of autumn.
On the first floor of the Villa the living room painted by Zuccarelli is the heart of the property, for the beauty of the paintings that reproduce the landscapes of the surrounding hills and for the quality of acoustics that make music, as in the tradition of the past.
The collection of keyboard instruments contained in Villa Medici develops the theme of piano history from harpsichords, fortepianos to organs. All instruments are perfectly restored and play regularly in concert.
The chapel, dedicated to the Virgin, is connected to the Villa and contains an altarpiece painted by Nuvolone. The octagonal plan of the small church is perfect.
The ancient cellar testifies to the processing of wine that took place on the hills surrounding the “Villa Fattoria”.
In fact, the characteristic of Villa Medici is that it was built as a center of work and testimony at the same time as a patrician residence for a family that loved art and music.
The historical kitchen preserves intact the characteristics of the seventeenth century and is therefore a rare example of life in Lombardy.
The Villa was built in 1643 for the Attendolo-Bolognini family, which then died out passing the surname to the Morando family, owner of Palazzo Morando, currently a Milanese museum.
It was bought in the mid-nineteenth century by the Medici of Marignano and is currently owned by the Giulini family who took care of the re